Saturday, January 30, 2010

A glimpse at the past

We got a surprise on our doorstep this week. The package was simply addressed to "The Family" at our address. I was scared to open it at first, because obviously it was from a stranger that didn't know our names. Inside, was an amazing glimpse at our house's past. As I've shared before, our house is over 80 years old but the people we rent from are only the fourth owners. The first owners lived in the house from the time it was built in 1929 until 1995. The photographs are from the third owner who seemed to have the house restored to immaculate conditions on the exterior. It sure gives Dash and I something to strive for as the spring and warmer weather approaches. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can see our huge magnolia tree in the top photo. After seeing this, we're guessing the tree is about 100 years old. Here is the same tree now. I love seeing the military uniform the first owner is wearing. And to think they raised their daughter in the same room that Mason plays in every day. What a great combination of spooky and special!

The note enclosed with the package read, "My father purchased your historic home in 2002. He loved the history, beauty and uniqueness of this historic home. The Lord took my father home on May 15, 2003. I ran across these pictures and wanted you to have this, as I know the home was near and dear to my father's heart. May you continue to enjoy this home, and may the Lord bless your family in 2010."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is SO neat!!!

p*nut said...

That is very cool, so nice of them to give that to you. Maybe when you move you can leave it there with your own note for the new people.