Friday, January 15, 2010

Birthday Party on a Budget

It's very hard to believe that I'm planning a first birthday party for our little boy, who one year ago was growing quite large in my massive belly and I was growing very anxious. Everyone tells me that first birthday parties are really just for the mama and not to make a big fuss over it. We're just inviting family to his party but since our closest relatives live two hours away, I feel a little pressure to put on a good party because the attendees will be driving hours to come. And then there's the fact that I'm trying to plan this on next to nothing. So here's the rundown:
  • Location - a local park with lots of picnic tables. If the weather is too cold, we'll move it to our house. We figured everyone will be at our house already, so it will be nice to go somewhere else.
  • Invitations - designed by yours truly and printed at Walgreens with a coupon
  • Birthday outfit - found a long sleeve t-shirt on sale at Wal-mart and fabric on sale at Hobby Lobby so he will have a custom-made birthday t-shirt for around $4. I also got a birthday bib with a gift card leftover from Christmas.
  • Decorations - this is where the fun starts for me! I have some cute things planned that will only cost me a few sheets of scrapbook paper and my printer ink; we have plates and plastic silverware but I'll have to buy napkins and cups so I'm hoping to find these on sale at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby.
  • Food - the plan is to make everything at home, including Mason's cake, so that will save us a lot, but this will probably be the most expensive part. I have a month to scour for sales since I already have the menu picked out.
Stay tuned... 


2 comments:

Merideth Savoie said...

cute Shae! Can't wait to see pics.

Nico's and Natalee's Proud Parents said...

Yay, I am the one who is 2 hours away! We will be there with bells on.