Sunday, April 25, 2010

Missional-minded Mom

After finishing our Crazy Love book a few weeks back, I've been eager to figure out where I can make the biggest impact for God's greatest need. And I've found it. At least for the time being. I thought that my mission had to be dramatic and life altering, but I've learned that God wants to use me exactly where I am at this point in my life. And where is that? Following around a toddling fourteen month old and learning from my successes and failures what it means to be a parent, but more so, a mom seeking after God.

A few weeks back, I was asked to serve on leadership next year for our MOPS program at Grace Community Church. I was thrilled because I've already gained so much from MOPS - blossoming friendships, mentor moments, amazing breakfasts, convicting devotions and a little break in the middle of the week from my full-time job, since Mason gets to go play for a few hours. I was presented with a couple options where they thought my gifts could be used - either as Publicity Chair on the Steering Committee or as a Discussion Group Leader (small group leader). So, I began to think and pray about where God wanted me to serve...

Before moving to Tyler, I was a scared mom. I think one reason for this was because I had my mom just 10 minutes away and she wanted to help as much as she could, from being our nanny daycare to being my roommate for two months after Dash moved to Tyler before us. She's pretty amazing like that. But, it wasn't until we moved here that I was forced to start doing things on my own. Looking back, I'm so thankful that I forced myself to get out with Mason and discover new places and new people. Shy me could have easily sat at home all day. That being said, I've known what it is like to lack confidence as a new mom and let my emotions control my day and my schedule. I see now that God worked in my life to make Tyler the right place for me, not just Dash, and I've become a confident mom who doesn't let the world or my son dictate my days (note: excluding naps!).

Because of this transformation, I have a big heart for new moms that need a confidence boost, like I did (and still do sometimes!). I've had a few moms come into my life where I know our relationship alone makes a difference, for them and me. And then it dawned on me... Relationships. That's where I can make an impact for God. So, I've signed up to be a Discussion Group Leader for next year and look forward to building many new relationships. I'm still a new mom and a mom on only one, but as it was said in our sermon this morning, "A leader only has to be one step ahead to make a difference." And while my mission may not be a dramatic change, I'm praying it will be life altering.

1 comment:

Traci said...

i love you friend! and your sweet heart. awesome post. God is going to do great things through you & your new mission, i just know it!