Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Discipline: Taking a Bite out of it

Picture this:
Mason is in a super silly mood, giving kisses and making us all laugh. And then he leans in for what I think is a kiss and bites my shoulder. Hard. Teeth-marks-the-next-morning hard. It's happened before so I proceed to spank his rear. Not hard, but enough to get his attention. It worked. I got his attention and he bursts into a roar of giggles. Then, he leans in for another taste of mama's shoulder. I spank his rear. Again. Giggles, again. See the pattern? I glance over at my loving husband, who is laughing harder than Mason is.

I've gotten the same giggles when I spanked his hand so I'm seeing a trend developing in our disciplining of Mason. He understands the word "no" and will shake his head and stop whatever he is doing when he hears it, so that is my one savior right now. The challenge is saying "no" with a straight face to a boy who makes me laugh (almost) all day long.

3 comments:

April said...

Ohhhhhh, man. That sounds JUST like Dash growing up. The more he got in trouble, the more the laughed. Tommy and I would sit there while he got in more and more trouble and think, "Why won't that guy SHUT UP?! He's gonna get us ALL in trouble." Yeah, have fun with that. :)

Shae Connell said...

April - I'm pretty sure he got the biting and the laughing from Dash!

Lindsey Klinger said...

Shae! Luke does the exact same thing to me! He loves to bite my shoulder and laughs when I tell him no. It as if I was writing your post myself! I have no idea how to make him stop biting me.... maybe we should get together on this. ;)