Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shower Gift Idea

For my sweet Ruthie, the soon-to-be Mrs. Russell, I wanted to get her something to personalize her new nest with Ryan. I'd seen some neat chalkboard platters in the Pottery Barn catalog when we visited G and Grandpa over Christmas (I no longer get the catatlog; they must know I'm not in their target market any longer...haha) and had even stolen the page, thinking it would come in handy some day soon. It did. I like the one I made for Ruth even more than the $99 Pottery Barn ones. It's a simple project that even those who claim to be un-crafty can conquer.

Find a plate that you like - try places like Marshalls and Ross for your one-of-a-kind plate. Stop by your local home improvement store for a can of $13 chalkboard paint. Paint the flat center of the plate. Ta da! These plates can be used to welcome guests, detail the menu, spread holiday wishes or pass along notes to your beloved. I was going to write "Meet me in the bedroom" on Ruth's plate for her newlywed husband, but I didn't want to make her blush! I'll leave that one up to her.




I have almost a full can of paint leftover for more projects. And since the chalkboard trend doesn't seem to be going out of style anytime soon, some more of you might be on the receiving end of this gift in the near future.

6 comments:

Lindsee said...

Shae! Just so you know I am so stealing this idea. So easy, and absolutely adorable. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful idea!

P.S. Yours is so much cuter than the Pottery Barn ones. I love your plate!

Ruth said...

So cute! Are you taking orders? :-)

Traci Dixon said...

i LOVE this!

Anonymous said...

Very great idea! I also saw this in the Pottery Barn magazine and thought "I could so make this cheaper!"

Lindsey Klinger said...

Absolutely adorable... you are SO creative, Shae!!! I love reading about all your crafty ideas and projects :)

Ruthie said...

Yea!!! I absolutely adore my chalkboard plate and Ryan loves that its all homemade and sentimental. You are amazing my dear Shae - I love you!