Thursday, July 29, 2010

Family Tree

Even though we live 4 hours away from our closest immediate family, it is really important to us that Mason knows all of his family. No matter how much time he gets to spend with them. No matter how far away they live. No matter how far away we move. I started this project last year, but finally (thanks to facebook!) I was able to steal enough photos to finish it. Simple. Cheap. Educational. Memories. All my favorite things rolled into an activity for Mason and me to do together every day.

Here's what I used...

I bought both of these things at Office Depot (still get my old company's discount - shhh!) for less than five bucks. Without a discount, it would be around $12.

And here's what I made...

And closer...

And closer still...

Pretty fun, huh? You can see pictures of all Mason's aunts, uncles, most of his cousins, all the grandparents and of course, his mama and daddy. He is really great at copying words and names so I'm hoping to tap into the stage he's at and teach him his family members' names. When I'm cooking or washing dishes, which is often when your home doesn't have a dishwasher, we go through them quickly. He always picks one or two to carry around with him for awhile. And some lucky family members get kisses from him. If my wallet allows, I see another Office Depot trip in our future to expand the game to include great-grandparents (Mason has more than you can count on one hand!) and his furry friends. I'm sure his family tree will keep growing in other ways, too!

No comments: