Monday, March 1, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Dash was out of town this past weekend and I went a little crazy with my spending. Friday alone, Mason and I ate all three meals out. Not exactly being a good steward of our money. As a stay-at-home mom that only contributes a small amount from my Etsy shop and freelance jobs, I feel that groceries and meals are one of the things where I can help support Dash and make my small impact on our budget. So, here's to March - a new month and fresh start on our grocery budget.

I've been a big fan or $5 Dinners for a year or so. Her meals are simple, healthy and quick and only require a few ingredients, making them cheap. My kind of recipes! Maybe if I didn't have a one year old, I'd be more Martha Stewar-like. Honestly, my Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade cookbook has been used way more often. At the beginning of every month, $5 Dinners posts her monthly meal plan. Starting today, I'm going to follow her meal plan so I can plan ahead for sales and also add some new recipes to the mix. I'll probably be behind her a little since she posts her recipes at the end of the night and I go to the store at the beginning of every week. And I'll probably throw in some of my own cooking since I have things I need to use up in the fridge and freezer. Fair warning that I may share my successes (or her successes) with you and probably a few failures. We went grocery shopping last night and the receipt got thrown away with the empty sacks, but next week I'm going to try to keep track of what I spend on each meal too.

What's for dinner this week?
  • Chicken salad sandwhiches and a spinach salad with strawberries
  • Black bean fajitas with corn ($5 Dinners recipe)
  • Meatball subs (already had frozen meatballs)
  • Smoked porkchops with sweet potato mash
  • Lazy Lasagna on Friday night for my mom and Mimi (recipe from our recipe exchange by Mrs. Traci Dixon)
  • Dinner out on Saturday night with my mom and Mimi

No comments: